Saturday 16 May 2009

Bad and Good...


Tuesday night, Ceris invited us all to a local club in Kampala. This was undoubtedly the most expensive place we had been to, but it was still only £3 to get in and drinks were £1/shot, beer less, I think. I took ice with my drink and bang went my Wednesday – food poisoning!
I fought my way to some semblance of lucidness later in the day and met with Matt Bish, film director and producer of the notable Ugandan film “Battle of the Souls”. Ceris interviewed him on her website www.kushinda.org and we had the chance to meet him in the flesh. Actually I had an ulterior motive.
I had been looking for a while for a director for some edufeature films for a project, that I was hoping to run in association with one of the big film companies. We aim to tackle social problems with the films, using them in conjunction with the licence for big budget films to maximise attendance, and also to attract funds to local NGOs. It’s a little more complex than that, but that explains it a bit. In particular I am concerned by the videos being circulated in Nigeria, which are corrupting and directly encourage the sacrifice of children, who are supposed to be witches. By showing better and more exciting films, hopefully we can banish this vile rubbish.
Anyway, the meeting went well and I can progress the project a little further!

No comments:

Post a Comment